Monday, October 5, 2009

Stuck between red and a hard place.


I very, very rarely use the color red. I have no idea why. When we first moved in our house, there was a LOT of red...it was in the draperies, on the dining room walls...every where I looked: RED. 



Well, not quite like Ms. Vreeland's "garden in hell", but almost. 

So I painted over all of it with blue and white. A lot of white, and a lot of every single imaginable shade of robin's egg blue. It just makes me happy. To make Allen happy, I painted our bedroom "tan"(his words) or cafe au lait (mine). But I did it in high gloss to make it a little cooler. 

But here's the deal. Just like everyone else,  I looooove Schumacher's Chiang Mai Dragon fabric in aqua.  I can't get enough of it. Strike that: actually, I can't get it. 



But I will. 

And it has that me thinking about red. 

What also has me contemplating red is that Allen and I have a new piece of bedroom furniture. It's the huge dresser we've been searching for for a year. The one that makes up for the ridiculously small amount of closet space our little house has.  The path to find this dresser is one that was wrought with arguments and frustrations over the quality of what we could afford vs. the price of the quality we were looking for. 

So when we saw the estate sale at the end of our street, and decided to pop in "just in case", you can only imagine how stoked we were to meet this guy: 


Yes, it's rather French Provincial. And that's what I like about him. He is very similar to the bedroom furniture that my mother-in-law gave us when we moved in to this house...which we've now moved in to our bedroom. Allen's using the bedside table and I'm using the kidney shaped desk as a vanity. 

So, blogosphere....my question is this. What if I incorporated my beloved dragon print into our room via pillows or even the headboard, painted the walls in the aqua color that is the background of the pattern, but maybe a little warmer, and painted all of the other pieces in the room white with trim accent and nickeled hardware. 



And then....painted the gigundo dresser with two coats of Rustoleum Safety Red, slapped on 2-3 coats of poly, nickeled the hardware and called it a day.
 


Kind of like this, but in a bedroom. 

What do you think? 

No comments: